Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Camille on the Beach in Trouville


             Assignment: Go to the Yale Art Gallery, find a work of art that speaks to you then tell its story.



Claude Monet, Camille on the Beach in Trouville, 1870
A strong eddy wind is blowing my hair about, the sea air is filled with sand. I am in white elegant dress with white lace umbrella. I have prepared for the ball, but now I am sitting on the beach. My children, Jean and Michele, are playing with their nanny near the sea. They are happy, they do not know what happened an hour ago.
Today I discovered a secret. My husband cheated on me with a maid while I have been in Paris with children. I was horrified and shocked. All my life was crushed. My thoughts rushed in my head with furious speed. Suddenly, I ran to the bedroom, gripped a black shining gun from the bedside-table. I knew, there were two of us in this big house, all servants had a weekend, children played with a nanny in the yard. I was obsessed, stood face to face with my husband. I pointed a gun at him. His eyes were closed, he whispered about forgiveness, cold sweat ran down his face. At this moment I heard the laugh of children and understood that they need their father. I lowered my hands gradually, the gun fell down on the floor. But I could not stay in that house anymore. I ran out to the yard, gripped the children and drove the carriage to the beach with a nanny companied. Tears streamed down my cheeks, I had no idea what to do.
            And now I am sitting on a chair and looking at Jean and Michele, and all that I know is that I need to protect them.

No comments:

Post a Comment